Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Just be fun


One of the hard things since Sydney has passed away is not going back to work until the next school season (I've given myself time to heal).  I absolutely love my job and the people I work with. For those of you that don't know I'm an Elementary Guidance Counselor- my job is to make kids happy.
Since not being at school I feel like I'm missing something; I feel out of the loop, which is only natural since I haven't been there for awhile. I occasionally pop in to say hello, but it's just different.
Yesterday I was given the opportunity to go on the Kindergarden field trip to the swan boats. One of my favorite trips. I was slightly unsure if this was a good thing to do, but decided to do it anyways. It was my goal to see if Sydney would be here.
Once I walked into the school and became overwhelmed with hugs and Mrs. Craven we miss you I knew it was going to be a good day. Before we left to go on the bus a teacher pulled me aside and said,  "look at her shirt Heather". There it was "just be fun add a little SPARKLE" 
I told the student I just loved her shirt as she smiled back at me. Although the student would never really know what "sparkle" means to me it made me feel happy.
It was a great field trip yesterday minus waiting in line with 30 Kindergarden students to use the only public bathroom; however, we made the best of it. 
On the field trip yesterday I got to be Mrs. Craven- guidance counselor again even though I was chaperoning. It gave me a chance to put on hold what I'm really going through each day, and enjoy the kids and co-workers that I work with. The smiles were given, and the fun was made, but at the end of the day it's often hard to put pass the feelings that are deep inside. I'm glad I saw the sparkle and glad I went yesterday. It's good for me to do these things and go back to visit my job that I love as the school season comes to a close. Next stop "secret reader" later this week to Kindergarden- bring on the smiles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment